Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Valentines Day

It's that time of year again. The time of year that Hallmark reminds all of us single people that we...well, are just that. Single.

Not that I mind being single this year for the dreaded Valentines Day. I'm just sick of all the hype. Granted, I should be upset about all of the hype, as well. It's my first single Valentines Day in...three, maybe four years.

This year I was perfectly content to sitting in a theater with my best friend watching the newest chick flick. That's not even happening, now, seeing as how we're both tired of everything red & lovey-dovey. Even I find myself drawing little hearts in the margins of my notes during classes and it's hard to stop myself. Love is all around, especially 'in the air'.

And, as a disclaimer, I'm putting this in right here right now. I'm not upset that anyone has a date for V-day. Good job! have fun, enjoy it. I'm happy for you. I, myself, have come to terms with the fact that I will be alone on Valentines Day. In fact, I won't even really be alone. I'll be with two of my very good friends, whilst the third is on a date with her boyfriend.

However, if I have come to terms with this fact, and I'm happy with it, and plan on doing nothing else, please don't be calling me asking me to be your Valentine. Now, Grandma, I can understand you. I will gladly be your Valentine. However, if you call and ask me what I am doing for Valentines day a week ago and I answer with a 'going to the movies with my friends, I'll be at State'...wouldn't someone just let the subject drop?

Yes...I do believe someone would. However, not this one. No. Instead, I get another text message tonight. "What are you doing on Thursday?" Now, it's nothing. However, I have to leave very early on Friday to make it to Boston by Friday night. So, getting back to the fact that I'm content just sitting on a futon, studying and watching T.V. I've come to terms with it, accepted it, and am actually looking forward to it.

"What about tonight?"

Can a guy just not get a hint? I'm not interested. I'm fresh out of a relationship from...maybe a month ago.

I don't even really want to go on dates right now. I just need friends. And to be single. Single Kristy-- the one who never, ever relied on any guy to make her happy. The one who thought of them as...well, playtoys. That's just what you are to me, right now. I have you begging at my feet for me to spend time with you when you're forever and a day away...and I'm here at school. Being busy. So, I'm sorry-- realize it, and move on. You're more like a brother to me, anyways.

Why do certain guys just not get the hint?

I guess that's another thought process for another time...

Kristy

No comments: