Saturday, January 27, 2007

Best Friends

Best friends, by definition means The one friend whom is closest to you. Sister, by definition is listed as being a female offspring having both parent’s in common with another offspring; a female sibling. Another listed definition, however, is a female friend or protector regarded as a sister. Thinking about this definition, it strikes me that there should be more to it. Maybe Mr. Webster had to make the definition simple, so the uneducated could look it up if needed…but even the uneducated should know that a best friend is more than someone who is the closest to you. A Best Friend is Family. It’s someone who understands you, someone who will be there for you in the middle of the night when you call them drunk, someone who will be sitting the cell next to you when you get arrested for being stupid. A Best Friend stands by you even when they know you’re doing something completely wrong. They’re there for you no matter what. They’re girls who happen to laugh for absolutely no reason at all and have stupid fights that are over in ten minutes, attempt to dance and sing like they do in the music videos, make fun of each other when we run into stuff, have a BILLIION moments where “you had to be there” & no matter what happens we’re always there for one another, that’s why we’re called Best Friends.

We are a Trio, and compare ourselves to a sandwich. There’s Lyndsi, the short curly-haired one. She’s the jelly, to say the most…if not the least. She’s the one who makes it a little bit slippery, but not too much. Lyns adds a sweet taste to our friendship. She has two extremes, smiling, and upset. She doesn’t try to cover it up- you know exactly how she’s feeling. You would never expect this 5’3” girl being rough and rowdy. She’s the most caring person ever. She’d rather curl up in front of a fireplace with a good book than out partying at a club. However, if you flip by a hockey game on the television, there’s no way you’re going to watch anything else. She’s understanding, but she’s the first one to overreact if something happens with her mom or anyone else to make her upset. Just as she’s the first person to overreact, she’s also the first person to snap you back to reality if you’re the one overreacting. She’s so loving and so understanding, you can’t help but love her. I’ll be honest, she has her blonde moments…but doesn’t everybody? It just adds to why we love her and accept her as one of our own.

Jenn is the bread. She holds us together, when we do manage to slip apart and fall on the floor. This girl is just outrageous. She’s so random, and always chipper. Jenn’s the calm one. If something’s wrong with her, she’s over. She’s always putting others (those close to her, that is) before herself. If something is wrong, she will drive 55 minutes to make sure you’re alright. If something’s wrong with herself, she’s over it within ten minutes. She may not be over it, over it, but she’ll pretend for the sake of the people around her. You have to prod her to get her to talk if something is wrong, because she doesn’t want to worry anyone else. Jenn’s quirky, what can I say. Whether it involves random pictures in the car, acting gangster, eating lemons, or getting balloon hats made in a restaurant then parading them around the dorm room, there is never a dull moment.

Then there’s me. Hi. I’m Kristy. I guess you could say I’m in the middle, just like the peanut butter. I balance the three of us out. I have my moments where everything is wrong in the world and I’m absolutely hysterical, but I also can be the one who puts everyone aside if something’s wrong with one of those two girls. I’d like to think I’m fun and spontaneous. Whether it be taking a weekend trip to Mackinac, or helping those two get lost on the way down to a mall. They’re both grounded- and I’m the one who wouldn’t be afraid to take a dare and do it. I rub off on Jenn, and bring her along for the ride. We convince Lyns to join in on the fun every now and then…and she actually goes along with it once in a while! I love to laugh and be around a fun crowd. I’m very outgoing and don’t care if I make a fool out of myself just to make someone smile. But don’t worry, I have my sore points, too. I can overreact, and I don’t always agree with people…and when I don’t, I let them know. I try anything at least once. I’m rational…at times…but I’m very irrational at times, too. I can be very bull-headed and stubborn, and if I get an idea going in my head, I go with it. That’s when Lyndsi snaps me back into reality, and I realize that I couldn’t just up and fly to Texas for a weekend. I’m the blonde one, out of all of us. But hey- at least I knew how to make soup.

See, the three of us balance each other out. Without one of us, the sandwich would fall apart. We need the irrational one, the rational one, and the topsy-turvy one. We are not just best friends. We are Sisters. And only Sisters would drive down for one another from separate colleges when you hit rock bottom. And I did just that. This is the story about three different girls, three different experiences, and one great friendship.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.