Thursday, October 11, 2007

How is this possible?

It's never going to happen to me. That's what most people say when they talk about getting cancer. Well, actually that's the truth. It most likely won't happen to you. That's what I thought, too. I couldn't imagine having cancer, nor would my best friend of sixteen years have it. But, it's happening, and it's scary.

It started out just like any other worknight. Sitting down watching a performance and getting paid. The only unusual thing? My phone kept ringing like I was an operator. It was Colin three times, then Katie only once. When I got around to calling her back, my night would never go back. She told me when she went to her doctors appointment, he found a couple spots on her ovaries that were of concern. Concern as in what, I wanted to know. Concern as in cancerous. It was dead silent for what seemed like an eternity, however in reality it was only a couple of seconds. All I could think, "No." Then the tears started coming down. She couldn't. She was eighteen. Only a month away from being nineteen. What the hell? How is this happening? They're not for sure yet, and they need to talk it over again at another appointment, but no. Katie's vivacious, she's full of life. She has gotten over so much in her life, she's truly my hero. She's accomplished only half of what I wish I had, and gotten through some majorly hard times that no one should have to go through. So, why her?

I was complaining earlier that life wasn't fair, about how some people can slack off but succeed in life beyond anyone elses dreams. Then, this. Life truly isn't fair. An Eighteen year old girl should not have ovarian cancer, should not have to worry about chemo-therapy, and should not have to worry about whether she might live or die. She should be worrying about her new apartment next year with me, her best friend, getting into MSU, and definitely worrying about classes and getting football tickets. Not about that.

I can't cry, though. She wasn't crying, so I can't. I have to be strong. She needs my strength as much as her own now more than ever. She needs me to not cry and be there for her while she is. She needs me to be the rock that she's always been for me. And I will be. Without a doubt I will be. God wouldn't give us anything we can not handle, and if it is cancer we're going to give it hell and fight with all we've got because it doesn't realize it not only took on the rough and ready Katie, but also Me. Together we'll get through this. Without a doubt, we will get through this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow honey.. i will be praying for your friend.

i write a lot of poetry and i've been told it encourages a lot of people. one of my poems that will be in my book if it ever gets published is called Cry Out & Pray. share it with your friend and see if it will help. It's true that God won't give you more than you can handle...but sometimes we are tested to the breaking point, and it's in those moments that we see what we are made of and how much heart we have. i commend you for standing by your friend and being so strong. hang in there, hon. you're on my heart and mind and tears are in my eyes as i write this. i'm going to message you a copy of my poem